So I have been back into civilisation for a few days now, after my amazing four-day trek up Mt Rinjani in Lombok. It is one of the most beautiful places I have seen, although being able to cast eyes on such extraordinary landscapes and to really escape into nature did come at some cost.
Not only does my body, and particularly my calves and quadriceps, still ache in that way muscles do when they have been over-exerted, but I have also come back to the city with a terrible sunburn.
Yes, I know, I know. I’ve already chided and lectured myself enough already. Being an Aussie, I definitely know full well just how damaging and dangerous the sun’s rays can be. It seems Mt Rinjani, being so high up, has particularly harsh sun.
It is an accident that I got sunburned- and now my nose is red raw, my forehead is peeling, and my arms, legs and back of the neck look about ready to succumb to a natural exfoliation as they too start to peel the layer of burn away.
I look a mess, and feel it too. This is my penance for allowing my skin to be exposed for too long and for getting burned despite best intentions.
The good news in all of this, is that it has given me an excuse to make and now share an all-natural sunburn reliever. This skin gel is actually great for any sensitive skin that has a rash or is itching. I also like to use it on my skin after getting it waxed, and I have been slathering it onto my skin the past couple of days.
It really helps to soothe the itchy and flaky skin feeling, and I am sure using this is one of the reasons than my sunburn recovery seems to be happening really quickly. This gel can be used on all parts of the body safely, even the face. I’ve been rubbing it into my scalp too, as it also got burnt and has become a bit flaky. Anywhere that you want to reduce skin inflammation, apply the gel!
After you make this soothing skin gel, I recommend keeping it in a jar in the fridge as this makes it feel even more refreshing when you put it on. It will keep at room temperature for up to two months. Feel free to use just the basic recipe without adding the essential oils if you wish- though I love adding oils for extra benefits.
- 6 teaspoons + 1 teaspoon aloe vera gel (get this by scraping the gel from inside a small section of an aloe vera leaf)
- 2 teaspoons jojoba oil
- 4-6 drops of essential oil (I used lavender and Melrose blend for my sunburn)
- In a small glass bowl, mix 6 teaspoons of aloe vera gel with 2 teaspoons of jojoba oil.
- Stir the mixture with a spoon or fork until it becomes thick.
- Add another teaspoon of aloe vera gel and continue combining until the gel becomes a creamy, opaque colour.
- Add the essential oils if using and stir to combine.
- Transfer the mixture to a small jar that you can seal ( I use Ball’s jars)
This will make about 10 teaspoons of gel, which is plenty to use on your face and body for a few days of applications 2-3 times a day.
- Let me know how you go with making this soothing gel and if you have any other great, natural sunburn remedies!