This recipe might seem like it is a bit complicated because of so many steps. However, each step is a recipe in itself. For example, guacamole is also a great dip on its own, or it can also be used in collard wraps or nori rolls.
The corn chips are great to make a big batch of and to have on-hand for dipping in guacamole or another dip, for having with raw soups or just to snack on. The salsa can be a separate recipe for dipping and taking along to parties. The cashew nut sour cream is a delicious dressing and a filling for wraps and rolls, so it is handy to make a batch of it and to keep it in the fridge for recipes like this one, or for creamy soups.
So don’t be intimidated….each of these steps could in fact form part of your staple for the week- make double batches and use some of each step for nachos, and the rest for incorporating into other dishes.
Really Raw Nachos
Corn from 3 corn cobs or about 3 cups (it is ok to use thawed frozen corn)
1/2 cup flax meal (ground flax seeds)
juice from one lime
1 teaspoon chilli powder
1 tablespoon cumin
ground black pepper
- Process all the ingredients except the flax meal.
- Once combined, add in the flax meal.
- Spread the mixture onto two teflex sheets, and score into triangles.
- Dehydrate at 140 Farenheit for 1-2 hours then decrease to 118 for another 8-10 hours.
- Once crispy, remove from the teflex sheet. Can be stored for weeks in an airtight mason jar.
Click this link to get the recipe for the starfruit salsa.
1 cup cashews
juice from one lemon
splash of apple cider vinegar
3/4-1 cup water
pinch of salt
- Blend everything in the food processor until smooth.
- Put into the fridge for a while to make a bit thicker.
- It is good to keep some of this stored in a bottle in the fridge to use as a dip or addition to other recipes.
1 large or 2 small ripe avocado
2 small shallot onions finely sliced
1 clove minced garlic
juice of 1 lime
a small bunch coriander roughly chopped
- Mash the avocado in a bowl then sir through the remaining ingredients with a fork.
Extra optional garnish:
- Place a portion of corn chips into a bowl or onto a plate.
- Then add some guacamole, salsa and top with sour cream.
- I garnished mine with some chopped coriander, some sliced pickles and some capers. Your nachos are now ready to serve and enjoy!
Can make one big serve or several small ones depending on the quantities you use.